Mount View AME Zion Church
The historical journey of Mount View AME Zion church began in 1922 when community leaders, Oran Green Harris, Lonnie Edward Gunter, Sr. and William H. Lassiter began discussing the idea of constructing a church in the area. the project was launched by Mrs. Lou Emma Harris Thomas, wife of George Thomas, who kindly gave one acre of land. She was paid a sum of $1.00 for the land and in later years, Mrs. Thomas was given an additional amount of $25.00. With the land secured, the founders vision began to come to life as plans were put into motion to begin the construction of a church for the community.
Using discarded building materials from Clegg's Mission AME Zion Church (which had been discontinued and was located in the Lockville community in Moncure) the head carpenters Ben Harris, Tom Thomas and William Lassiter along with numerous family members and friends began constructing the new church. Upon completion, the church was named The Gum springs Church and on February 12, 1922, Gum Springs Church held its first service. In June, 1922 the name, Gum Springs Church was changed to Mount View AME Zion Church.
The first minister of Mount View was the Reverend Daniels and some of the first officers were Mr. Lonnie Gunter, Chairperson of the Trustee Board, Mr. Gade Bryant, Chair person of the Steward Board and Mr. Oran Harris, Church Secretary. In June of 1924 the church corner stone was dedicated. At this time, the Reverend Taebor was the minister, the Reverend W. Slade was Presiding Elder of the Durham District and The Right Reverend L. Kyle was the Presiding Bishop of the Durham District.
Presiding Prelate of the
Eastern NC Episcopal District of the
African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
Presiding Elder of the Durham District